News | Health & Safety
30 Nov 2025 8:39
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Health & Safety

    Suspect in Washington DC shooting to face murder charge after soldier Sarah Beckstrom dies

    Sarah Beckstrom, 20, has died in hospital after an ambush shooting near the White House on Wednesday. A male soldier who was also shot, Andrew Wolfe, is fighting for his life, the president says.


    An Afghan man who allegedly shot two National Guard members will face a charge of first degree murder after one of those shot died in hospital.  

    US Attorney for Washington DC Jeanine Pirro confirmed the upgraded charges after National Guard soldier Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot in Washington DC on Wednesday, passed away. 

    Another soldier who was also shot, Staff Sergeant Andrew Wolfe, is fighting for his life in hospital, the president added.

    The alleged shooter, 29-year-old Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, is in custody and is himself in a critical condition after also being shot on Wednesday.

    Ms Pirro said a day earlier the suspect would face three counts of assault with intent to kill while armed and three counts of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence.

    Speaking from his Mar-a-Lago resort during his Thanksgiving call to US troops, US President Donald Trump said he had been told of Specialist Beckstrom's death seconds before fronting the media.

    "Highly respected, young, magnificent person, started service in June of 2023, outstanding in every way, she's just passed away. She's no longer with us. She's looking down at us right now," he said.

    "Her parents are with her. This just happened. Savagely attacked, she's dead. She's not with us.

    "Incredible person. Outstanding in every single way, in every department. It's horrible."

    Specialist Beckstrom had been in a critical condition since being gunned down just blocks from the White House on Wednesday, in what authorities called an ambush-style shooting.

    She and Staff Sergeant Wolfe both underwent surgery on Thursday, but her father, Gary, told The New York Times his daughter was unlikely to survive, calling her injury a "mortal wound".

    Mr Lakanwal has lived in Washington state with his family since 2021, when he entered the US under a Biden administration resettlement program called Operation Allies Welcome.

    The program was designed to evacuate and resettle tens of thousands of Afghans who worked with the US during the conflict in their country, which was taken over by the Taliban in 2021 in the wake of America's hasty withdrawal.

    Officials said Mr Lakanwal worked as part of a CIA-backed unit in Afghanistan before resettling in the US.

    While the FBI is investigating the shooting as an act of terror, and Washington DC Mayor Muriel Bowser said it appeared to be targeted, local police said investigators were yet to establish a concrete motive.

    DC US Attorney Jeanine Pirro said Mr Lakanwal was believed to have driven across the country in the days before the shooting, with the intention of coming to the capital.

    Mr Trump, who called Mr Lakanwal a "savage monster", used the announcement of Specialist Beckstrom's death to criticise his predecessor, saying there had not been sufficient vetting of those looking to resettle.

    "This atrocity reminds us that we have no greater national security priority than ensuring that we have full control over the people that enter and remain in our country," the president said.

    "For the most part, we don't want them."

    Following his address, Mr Trump told reporters he would soon speak to Specialist Beckstrom's family.

    Asked whether he would consider attending her funeral, he said it was "certainly something I could conceive of", adding that he had won her home state of West Virginia at the last election by "one of the biggest margins of any president, anywhere".

    Deployment to US capital 'extraordinary'

    More than 2,000 National Guard troops have been deployed to the US capital since August, after Mr Trump declared a public safety emergency over rising crime rates.

    However, the city's attorney-general said violent crime in the district had reached a 30-year low last year and was down 26 per cent in 2025, a statement backed up by preliminary police data.

    Since then, National Guard members from states across the country have been patrolling the streets of the capital, making themselves visible in public spaces such as federal parks and train stations, but also taking on local volunteer work, such as picking up rubbish.

    The operation, since replicated in a number of other US cities including Los Angeles, Portland and Chicago, has been described by political experts as "extraordinary and highly unusual".

    Specialist Beckstrom and Staff Sergeant Wolfe, also from West Virginia, are believed to have been sworn in to take part in the operation less than 24 hours before they were shot.

    Trump orders 'a lot more' B-2 bombers

    Mr Trump also used his Thanksgiving message to tell military members his administration had ordered "a lot more" B-2 Spirit stealth bombers, the aircraft used to strike Iran's nuclear sites earlier this year.

    "Those beautiful B-2 bombers, they totally obliterated the nuclear, potential nuclear supply of Iran," Mr Trump said.

    "We just ordered a lot more of them and the reason we did is they were totally incredible, totally invisible," he added, repeating a claim he has made repeatedly about stealth aircraft.

    He also spoke about potentially eliminating income taxes "almost completely" in the US due to tariff proceeds, a proposal that has been ridiculed by tax experts.

    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other Health & Safety News
     29 Nov: It's hoped an extra 27-million-dollars being invested into stem cell transplant services will reduce delays over time
     27 Nov: The Government wants less health system centralisation - and it could lead to job losses
     27 Nov: A fresh campaign to protect rural communities from nitrate-contaminated drinking water
     26 Nov: Calls for Pharmac to expand access to life-changing diabetes monitoring technology - which could save millions in healthcare costs
     25 Nov: Children removed from Australian-British couple living off-grid in Italian forest
     25 Nov: Bringing healthcare closer to home could be on the horizon for Queenstown Lakes and Central Otago
     24 Nov: Former British PM David Cameron says he has been treated for prostate cancer
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Springbok skipper Siya Kolisi is sticking up for Eben Etzebeth , despite the big lock being sent off for eye gouging in South Africa's huge 73-nil win over Wales in Cardiff More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own More...



     Today's News

    International:
    Why Barbados became a republic and cut ties with the British monarchy 8:27

    Hockey:
    The New Zealand men's have lost to Belgium 5-1 in their final pool match at 2025 Sultan of Azlan Shah Cup in Malaysia  8:17

    Entertainment:
    Jodie Sweetin first drank alcohol at Cadance Cameron Bure's wedding when she was just 14 8:08

    Soccer:
    Auckland United have achieved their third consecutive women's national league title with a one-nil win over Eastern Suburbs in their final in Auckland 8:07

    Motoring:
    Kiwi Formula One driver Liam Lawson will start 12th on the grid for tomorrow's Qatar Grand Prix 7:57

    Motoring:
    Chaz Mostert has kept his Supercars title hopes alive after a remarkable drive in the penultimate race of the season in Adelaide 7:47

    Entertainment:
    Sir David Beckham amuses fans by recreating his "be honest" moment from his documentary 7:38

    Rugby:
    Springbok skipper Siya Kolisi is sticking up for Eben Etzebeth , despite the big lock being sent off for eye gouging in South Africa's huge 73-nil win over Wales in Cardiff 7:37

    Motoring:
    Qualifying is underway for Formula One's Qatar Grand Prix 7:27

    Soccer:
    Sunderland is a surprise fourth in the English Premier League after a 3-2 win over Bournemouth 7:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd