News | International
4 Apr 2025 7:58
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Myanmar's ruling military shoots at Chinese Red Cross aid convoy in earthquake disaster zone

    The ruling military junta says it fired warning shots at the group because the convoy failed to stop and it hadn't told them they were working in an active combat zone.



    Myanmar's military says its troops fired warning shots at a Chinese Red Cross aid convoy because they didn't stop and it hadn't told them they were operating in a conflict zone.

    The incident underlines the challenge of delivering relief amid a civil war, as aid groups called for better access to help survivors of a devastating earthquake.

    The military has struggled to run Myanmar following its coup against the elected civilian government of Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi in 2021, reducing the economy and basic services, including healthcare, to tatters after civil war broke out.

    Junta spokesperson Zaw Min Tun said the Chinese Red Cross had not informed authorities it was in a conflict zone on Tuesday night, and a security team fired shots in the air after the convoy, which included local vehicles, failed to stop.

    A Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said the aid team and supplies were safe, and called on all parties in Myanmar to ensure the safety of rescuers.

    "It's necessary to keep transportation routes for relief efforts open and unobstructed," Guo Jiakun told a press conference.

    The firing came as the death toll from Friday's 7.7-magnitude quake rose to 2,886, with 4,639 injured, Myanmar state media said.

    The rural parts of hard-hit Sagaing region were mostly under the control of armed resistance groups fighting the military government, the International Crisis Group said.

    "They will be among the most challenging for aid agencies to reach, given regime restrictions, a complex configuration of local administrations and control by armed resistance groups, and the persistent conflict," it added in a statement.

    Even before the quake the ICG said information had been hard to gather from such areas, because of a junta blackout of internet and mobile phone networks as part of the conflict.

    "Soldiers are everywhere in the town," a man who travelled to Sagaing told Reuters. "They are there for security, not for rescue. They check every vehicle."

    New York-based Human Rights Watch urged the junta to allow unfettered access for humanitarian aid and lift curbs impeding aid agencies, saying donors should channel aid through independent groups rather than only junta authorities.

    "Myanmar's junta cannot be trusted to respond to a disaster of this scale," Bryony Lau, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said in a report.

    "Concerned governments and international agencies need to press the junta to allow full and immediate access to survivors, wherever they are."

    The military has dismissed as misinformation accusations that it committed widespread atrocities as it fought against a multi-pronged rebellion that followed the coup.

    Rebels have accused the military of conducting air strikes even after the quake and on Tuesday a major rebel alliance declared a unilateral ceasefire to help relief efforts.

    Australia gives more aid

    The United Nations said there were more than 28 million people in the six regions affected by the quake, and it had $12 million in emergency funding for food, shelter, water, sanitation, mental health support and other services.

    "The situation remains critical, with disrupted communications and road access hampering response efforts, particularly in Sagaing," the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) said.

    Australia announced a further $6.5 million in humanitarian support for Myanmar, supplied "through thoroughly vetted international and local partners".

    In a statement on Wednesday, Foreign Minister Penny Wong said, "We take proactive steps to ensure our assistance does not legitimise the military regime in Myanmar."

    The military council has rejected requests from international journalists to cover the quake devastation, citing the lack of water, electricity and hotels.

    In neighbouring Thailand, the death toll from the quake rose to 22 on Wednesday, with hundreds of buildings damaged.

    A search for survivors in the rubble of a skyscraper under construction in the capital, Bangkok, entered its fifth day with a change in role for some rescue dogs at the site, where 15 people died and 72 are missing.

    Officials said two dogs were reassigned to provide emotional support for the families of those missing.

    It brought a small sense of comfort, said Chanpen Keawnoi, whose mother and younger sister are missing.

    "They said as long as the dog keeps barking when it hears a signal, there’s still a chance someone could be alive," she said.

    The government is investigating the collapse and initial tests showed some steel samples from the site were substandard.

    Reuters/ABC


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     04 Apr: Myanmar earthquake kills more than 3,000 people as rain threatens rescue efforts
     04 Apr: What Donald Trump's tariffs could mean for Australian exports
     03 Apr: Cook Islands prime minister wants to rework ties to NZ to be more independent
     03 Apr: What we know about Qatargate scandal surrounding Netanyahu government
     03 Apr: How chef Brian Cole juggles late nights, stressful shifts and fatherhood
     03 Apr: Liverpool beats Everton 1-0 in Merseyside derby to extend Premier League lead to 12 points
     03 Apr: The Trade Minister's been seeking more information about the numbers the US is using to justify new tariffs
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Crusaders have received a chilling hand from Hockey New Zealand as they look to overcome the heat and humidity of Suva More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fears from one analyst, the world has unlearned the lessons of the Great Depression More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Dolly Parton could make a cameo appearance on 'The Kardashians' 7:48

    Politics:
    Room for improved governance - to bring down the number of children living in material hardship 7:47

    Accident and Emergency:
    A degree of closure for those impacted by the fatal boat capsize off Kaikoura in 2022 7:37

    Motoring:
    The Crusaders have received a chilling hand from Hockey New Zealand as they look to overcome the heat and humidity of Suva 7:37

    Environment:
    Myanmar earthquake kills more than 3,000 people as rain threatens rescue efforts 7:27

    Business:
    Fears from one analyst, the world has unlearned the lessons of the Great Depression 7:27

    Entertainment:
    Josh Brolin has paid tribute to "uber-creative firecracker" Val Kilmer 7:18

    Law and Order:
    A sexual predator has been stopped, thanks to his victims coming forward 7:17

    Entertainment:
    Queen Camilla thinks social media is "terrifying" 6:48

    Law and Order:
    Police are bolstering the Wellington District with 15 more investigators after a spate of deaths 6:26


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd