News | Law and Order
17 Feb 2026 16:38
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Law and Order

    King stands ready to help police with Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor investigation, palace says

    Police have confirmed they are assessing information provided to them that former prince Andrew had passed late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein confidential reports while the former royal was British trade envoy more than a decade ago.


    King Charles is ready to support any police investigation into his brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windor, Buckingham Palace says.

    It comes after Thames Valley Police confirmed it was assessing information provided to them that former prince Andrew had passed late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein confidential reports while the former royal was a British trade envoy more than a decade ago.

    "The King has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor's conduct," a statement from the palace read.

    "While the specific claims in question are for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police, we stand ready to support them as you would expect.

    "As was previously stated, Their Majesties' thoughts and sympathies have been, and remain with, the victims of any and all forms of abuse."

    Last week, police said they were reviewing a new allegation against Andrew, triggered by the latest files, involving a woman being taken to an address in Windsor near London, where he has lived on the royal estate.

    The statement from Buckingham Palace comes hours after Prince William and Princess Kate said they were "deeply concerned" by the revelations.

    "I can confirm The Prince and Princess have been deeply concerned by the continuing revelations. Their thoughts remain focused on the victims," a spokesperson for Kensington Palace said on Monday.

    The statement was the first public comment from the heir to the throne and his wife on the scandal since the latest release of Epstein files more than a week ago.

    The statements follow a renewed furore over Andrew's close links to Epstein, who took his own life in a New York jail cell in 2019, with the king's brother under pressure to explain them further.

    Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre claimed in her posthumous memoir that she was trafficked to have sex with the disgraced former royal three times, including twice when she was 17.

    He has repeatedly denied those claims but settled a lawsuit with Ms Giuffre in 2022.

    She died by suicide in Western Australia in 2025.

    King Charles III stripped his brother of his royal titles and honours late last year after Ms Giuffre's claims were published.

    Last week, it emerged that a second alleged Epstein victim has claimed through her lawyer that the late US financier had sent her to Britain in 2010 to have sex with Andrew.

    The ex-prince, who has strenuously denied any wrongdoing, was ousted from his Windsor mansion home, just west of London, earlier than planned last week in the wake of the latest revelations.

    The files released in the US included a lawyer's letter alleging that Andrew and Epstein pressured a woman hired as an exotic dancer for sex as part of a threesome in 2006.

    They also contained embarrassing photos of Andrew kneeling over a clothed woman lying on the ground, and emails inviting Epstein to Buckingham Palace to talk in "private".

    UK media, including the BBC, reported that Andrew passed confidential reports to Epstein while he held the position of the UK's special representative for international trade and investment.

    Trade envoys are usually barred from sharing sensitive or commercial documents under confidentiality rules

    ABC/Wires

     

    © 2026 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other Law and Order News
     17 Feb: Louvre tour guides accused of orchestrating $16m ticket fraud ring over a decade
     17 Feb: Police say there is no risk to the public after a dog's killed a person at a home in Kaihu - in Northland - late this morning
     17 Feb: Police have uncovered a cache of drugs, after pulling over a suspicious vehicle on Auckland's Hibiscus Coast
     17 Feb: Three people ended up in Dunedin hospital on Saturday - in varying states of consciousness, hit in the head by thrown objects at a party on Castle Street
     17 Feb: A jury's heard grisly details about the death and dismemberment of a Christchurch man - whose remains were found in the boot of his own car
     17 Feb: A Dunedin man who sent a secretly-recorded sex tape to dozens of rugby mates, has failed to have his conviction quashed
     17 Feb: A learner driver who was under the influence of drugs when he struck four motorcyclists - three fatally - has been sentenced to eight and half years jail
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Irish rugby to investigate racial abuse towards Test debutant Edwin Edogbo More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    The Finance Minister's accusing Labour of scraping the barrel with its questions in Parliament More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Brooks Nader was "chasing perfection" during her teenage years 16:27

    Business:
    The Finance Minister's accusing Labour of scraping the barrel with its questions in Parliament 16:17

    Rugby League:
    Three Breakers players have been nominated for awards in the Australian basketball league gongs 16:07

    Entertainment:
    Part star, part supporting actor, Robert Duvall lit up 1970s American cinema – and kept going 16:07

    Law and Order:
    Louvre tour guides accused of orchestrating $16m ticket fraud ring over a decade 16:07

    Law and Order:
    Police say there is no risk to the public after a dog's killed a person at a home in Kaihu - in Northland - late this morning 15:57

    Entertainment:
    Rupert Grint has been able to "pick and choose" his roles thanks to the success of Harry Potter 15:57

    Entertainment:
    James Van Der Beek's family have thanked fans for their recent show of support 15:27

    Rugby:
    Irish rugby to investigate racial abuse towards Test debutant Edwin Edogbo 15:17

    Environment:
    Winter Olympics 2026: Eileen Gu medals despite blizzard, Ilia Malinin breaks his silence — day 10 quick hits 15:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd