News | Entertainment
21 Feb 2026 18:06
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, say they "require effective security" after stepping back from royal duties

    The couple have agreed to stop using their Sussex Royal brand when they step down as senior members of the royal family on March 31 but they have insisted that they will continue to need a security detail after this time, although it is not clear who will pay for it


    In a statement on their Sussex Royal website, Harry and Meghan said: "It is agreed that The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to require effective security to protect them and their son. This is based on The Duke’s public profile by virtue of being born into The Royal Family, his military service, the Duchess’ own independent profile, and the shared threat and risk level documented specifically over the last few years. No further details can be shared as this is classified information for safety reasons."

    The pair also claim that there is no "jurisdiction" to prevent them using the word royal in their branding, but say that nonetheless they will not use it after Spring 2020.

    They wrote: "As The Duke and Duchess will no longer be considered full-time working Members of The Royal Family, it was agreed that use of the word ‘Royal’ would need to be reviewed as it pertains to organisations associated with them in this new regard.

    "While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020.

    "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex eagerly await the opportunity to share more with you and greatly appreciate your support!"

    Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, announced their decision to step down from the royal family in an Instagram post last month.

    It read: "After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution.

    "We intend to step back as 'senior' members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.

    "It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     21 Feb: Sharon Stone has unleashed a fiery takedown of society's ongoing discomfort with nudity, blasting the idea that women should hide their bodies - or be ashamed of the most basic parts of being human
     21 Feb: Drawings by the late Queen Elizabeth are expected to sell for thousands at auction
     21 Feb: David Archuleta made himself homeless at the height of his fame
     21 Feb: Hart to Hart stars Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers recently reunited for the former's 96th birthday
     21 Feb: Prince William has opened up about the personal work he does to understand his own emotions, saying he often needs time to process how he feels
     21 Feb: Emma Heming Willis says caring for her husband Bruce Willis has made her realise how "vital" it is to concentrate on her own health
     21 Feb: Daniel Radcliffe expects Harry Potter TV series star Dominic McLaughlin to upstage him in the role
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Tiaan Whelpton's made a resounding statement at the International Track Meet in Christchurch More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A economist says New Zealanders appear to have gotten a spending hangover More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Sharon Stone has unleashed a fiery takedown of society's ongoing discomfort with nudity, blasting the idea that women should hide their bodies - or be ashamed of the most basic parts of being human 17:47

    Cricket:
    To the women's one day cricket final at the Basin Reserve 17:27

    Entertainment:
    Drawings by the late Queen Elizabeth are expected to sell for thousands at auction 17:17

    Education:
    Students in Auckland's Northcote College will be learning remotely next week, due to a fire-damaged building needing to be cleared 16:57

    Entertainment:
    David Archuleta made himself homeless at the height of his fame 16:47

    Entertainment:
    Hart to Hart stars Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers recently reunited for the former's 96th birthday 16:17

    Motoring:
    A crash has blocked the Glenorchy-Queenstown Road at Mount Creighton 16:17

    International:
    The shamans and designer handbags before Yoon Suk Yeol's insurrection conviction 16:07

    Entertainment:
    Prince William has opened up about the personal work he does to understand his own emotions, saying he often needs time to process how he feels 15:47

    Rugby:
    Tiaan Whelpton's made a resounding statement at the International Track Meet in Christchurch 15:37


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd