News | Environment
6 Apr 2025 19:43
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Environment

    6.9-magnitude earthquake hits off Papua New Guinea coast, tsunami warning cancelled

    A 6.9-magnitude earthquake has struck off Papua New Guinea's coast on Saturday morning.



    A strong 6.9-magnitude earthquake has struck off Papua New Guinea's coast, according to the United States Geological Survey. 

    The quake struck at a depth of 10km near the southern coast of New Britain island at 6.04am local time (7.04am AEDT) on Saturday, about 194 kilometres south-east of the nearest major town Kimbe, it said.

    The US Tsunami Warning Center later on Saturday morning called off a tsunami alert it issued immediately after the quake.

    Raphael Sislelrea, who manages a resort on the coast of Pomio district close to the earthquake epicentre, said there had been no destruction to buildings and everyone was safe.

    The shaking lasted a few minutes, he said.

    "People were sleeping when it happened and they all ran outside," he told the ABC.

    "Everyone was scared, but everything is OK. It's back to normal now.

    "I ran into some women going to get food in the garden and I told them to go quickly and come back [to their house] in case there's another tremor."

    Mr Sislelrea said he noticed fish jumping in the water around the time of the earthquake but otherwise the ocean was relatively calm.

    Barbara Aigilo, who runs the reception at Walindi Dive Resort in Kimbe Province, said she felt a small tremor about 6am. 

    "We felt it here, but it was a very slight one, it wasn't big enough to cause damage. Everything is fine here," she told the ABC. 

    Marolyn Simbiken, a receptionist at Kimbe's Liamo Reef Resort, said so far she had not seen any damage.

    "We did feel the earthquake here," she told AFP.

    "But there's not big damage. Nothing was damaged here and there was no evacuation."

    Earthquakes are relatively common on the island of New Britain, which is home to several active volcanoes.

    The tremor was reportedly felt as far away as the capital, Port Moresby, about 620km away from the earthquake epicentre. 

    PNG authorities said it was also felt in Kokopo, the capital of East New Britain Province.

    Multiple smaller quakes ranging between 4.9 and 5.3 in magnitude struck afterwards near the same area of sea, according to the USGS.

    More than 500,000 people live on the island of New Britain.

    The Bureau of Meteorology said there was no tsunami threat to Australia.

    Papua New Guinea sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire," the arc of seismic faults around the Pacific Ocean where much of the world's earthquake and volcanic activity occurs.

    ABC/AFP/AP


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other Environment News
     06 Apr: Police have arrested four people at Port Taranaki, where Greenpeace is protesting the use of palm kernel
     05 Apr: Fifty teams of Mini lovers are continuing their huge 24-hundred-kilometre journey today
     05 Apr: United Nations accuses Myanmar military of breaching its own ceasefire and restricting aid after earthquake
     04 Apr: The Bay of Plenty's likely to see the worst of the strong deluge battering much of the country
     04 Apr: Beijing censors Bangkok high-rise collapse, as Chinese company faces investigations in Thailand
     04 Apr: Homes and shops are in the dark after heavy rain caused power outages in Auckland
     04 Apr: Myanmar earthquake kills more than 3,000 people as rain threatens rescue efforts
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Former All Blacks Sevens player Moses Leo is making his NRL debut for the Melbourne Storm against the Manly Sea Eagles, just getting underway More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    New Zealanders in KiwiSaver are urged to stay calm and stay the course as stock markets tumble More...



     Today's News

    Motoring:
    Max Verstappen wins F1 Japanese Grand Prix, as Oscar Piastri finishes third behind teammate Lando Norris 19:37

    Motorsports:
    To Formula 1's Japanese Grand Prix 18:57

    Motorsports:
    Title favourite Ben Hunt has won the New Zealand Rally Championship's season-opening Rally of Otago 18:37

    Rugby League:
    Former All Blacks Sevens player Moses Leo is making his NRL debut for the Melbourne Storm against the Manly Sea Eagles, just getting underway 18:07

    Living & Travel:
    In the New Zealand Basketball League, The Wellington Saints have edged the Manawatu Jets 93-92 in Palmerston North 17:27

    Rugby League:
    One person was arrested and eight evicted after a tense confrontation between Auckland FC and Western Sydney Wanderers fans yesterday 17:27

    Rugby League:
    Kiwi middleweight Andrei Mikhailovich has suffered a shock split decision loss to Australian Blake Wells in Newcastle 16:57

    Law and Order:
    Police have arrested four people at Port Taranaki, where Greenpeace is protesting the use of palm kernel 16:17

    Accident and Emergency:
    The pilot of a light aircraft has died, after crashing onto a Hastings golf course 15:37

    Tennis:
    In tennis, top seed Jessica Pegula has set up a title decider against 2020 Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin at the Charleston Open 14:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd