News | International
5 Apr 2025 8:59
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    US markets plummet in wake of Donald Trump's reciprocal tariffs plan

    Wall Street is struck with a COVID-like blow in the wake of Donald Trump's tariffs announcement, but the US president insists his country is "healing".


    Wall Street has been struck with a COVID-like blow in the wake of Donald Trump's tariffs announcement, which sent markets tumbling and triggered new recession warnings for the world's largest economy. 

    US stock losses were calculated at more than $US3 trillion ($4.75 trillion) on Thursday, local time, with America's major indexes recording their largest falls since the COVID shock of March 2020.

    But the US president insists America is "healing" after his decision to place new tariffs, ranging from 10 per cent to 49 per cent, on almost all imports. 

    "The operation is over!" Mr Trump wrote in an all-caps post on social media on Thursday. 

    "The patient lived, and is healing. The prognosis is that the patient will be far stronger, bigger, better, and more resilient than ever before." 

    Later, he added: "The markets are going to boom."

    But at the close on Thursday, the S&P 500, which is considered Wall Street's main measure of health, was down 4.8 per cent — its worst day since the pandemic crashed the economy.

    The Dow Jones Industrial Average, which tracks 30 major companies, fell 4 per cent. And the Nasdaq Composite, which includes all stocks on the Nasdaq exchange, was down 6 per cent.

    "It really looks like the US is going to head for a recession," Gary Hufbauer, a senior fellow from Washington's Peterson Institute for International Economics, told the ABC.

    "And then, if there is a recession, given the very lofty values of American shares at the end of 2024, it would seem that there's probably more room [for the markets] to go down.

    "To me, that would be a somewhat better bet than thinking they were going to have a quick rebound."

    The response to the tariffs is a stark shift from just a few months ago, when the promise of business-friendly policies under the Trump administration propelled US stocks to record highs.

    Everything from crude oil, to big tech stocks, to the value of the US dollar fell. 

    Smaller companies were among the worst hit. The Russell 2000 index of smaller stocks dropped 6.6 per cent, putting it more than 20 per cent below its record.

    Concern and uncertainty around Mr Trump's looming tariffs had already pulled the S&P 500, which tracks the US's top 500 publicly traded companies, 10 per cent below its all time high.

    But Mr Trump still managed to surprise investors with "the worst case scenario for tariffs", according to Mary Ann Bartels, chief investment officer at US wealth management firm Sanctuary Wealth.

    "This was the first bullet thrown in this trade war and it could get nasty," said Elias Haddad, a senior markets strategist at investment bank Brown Brothers Harriman. 

    "That is spooking investors.

    "We could see the correction bottom out when we have firm evidence that we're not falling into recession."

    World leaders are now working out how to deal with America's turn back to protectionism. Europe is vowing to take unified retaliatory measures

    Australia, which avoided tariffs beyond the 10 per cent minimum, says it won't implement retaliatory counter-tariffs. Instead, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese outlined a five-point response plan, and Opposition Leader Peter Dutton said he largely supported it.

    — with in Washington DC

    ABC/wires


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     05 Apr: Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault
     05 Apr: China hits back at Trump with 34 per cent tariffs on all US goods
     05 Apr: United Nations accuses Myanmar military of breaching its own ceasefire and restricting aid after earthquake
     04 Apr: What we know so far about the Australian superannuation fund cyber attacks
     04 Apr: North Sentinel Island: How have the Sentinelese people stayed isolated for so long?
     04 Apr: The independents in the 2025 election, their electorate, and what they stand for
     04 Apr: How Donald Trump's 'Liberation Day' tariffs will impact US trading partners in Asia
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Chiefs are back on top in Super Rugby after holding off the Reds 27-15 in a rain-affected clash in Hamilton More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Food Safety Minister Andrew Hoggard is facing criticism over potential conflicts of interest involving his sister More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Kanye West has suggested his wife has left him in the lyrics to a new song 8:48

    Rugby League:
    Unfamiliar territory for the Penrith Panthers after slumping to their fourth loss in five games to start the NRL season 8:46

    Entertainment:
    Kylie Kelce "doesn't care" what people think of her daughters' names 8:18

    Living & Travel:
    Mini lovers are continuing their 24-hundred-kilometre journey - aiming to raise 500-thousand-dollars for KidsCan 8:16

    Business:
    Food Safety Minister Andrew Hoggard is facing criticism over potential conflicts of interest involving his sister 8:06

    Law and Order:
    Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault 7:56

    Rugby League:
    South Sydney Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett has applauded Latrell Mitchell's return from injury during their 20-14 win over the Sydney Roosters in the NRL 7:56

    Entertainment:
    Robert Irwin wants to "continue the important legacy" of his late father 7:48

    Rugby:
    The Chiefs are back on top in Super Rugby after holding off the Reds 27-15 in a rain-affected clash in Hamilton 7:46

    Soccer:
    Manchester City captain Kevin De Bruyne has announced his departure from the football club at the end of the season 7:46


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd