News | Entertainment
21 Feb 2026 16:37
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Quibi will officially shut down on December 1

    The streaming service only began operating six months ago in April this year, but announced this week it will be shutting down for good after failing to take off


    And now, a new statement from the company has confirmed the service will “end streaming on or about December 1, 2020”.

    The statement read: “Quibi has made the difficult decision to wind down. We anticipate that the service will end streaming on or about December 1, 2020. We appreciate the support we have received from our customers and want to thank you for giving us an opportunity to entertain you.

    “At this time we do not know if the Quibi content will be available anywhere after our last day of service. We recommend following #Quibi on Twitter for any news regarding content.”

    Quibi launched earlier this year will the premise of delivering original short-form programming via smartphones.

    The service had been successful in attracting celebrities to create shows for the platform - including Anna Kendrick’s ‘Dummy’, Chrissy Teigen’s ‘Chrissy’s Court’, and ‘Survive’, which starred Sophie Turner - but failed to get the viewer base needed to keep the service running.

    Speaking about the decision to shut down Quibi, co-founder Jeffrey Katzenberg said this week: “There was no question that keeping us going was not going to have a different outcome, it was just going to spend a whole lot more money without any value to show for it. So, out of respect for these people that put up this extraordinary amount of capital to do it, that’s irresponsible and we both felt we shouldn’t do it.”

    Whilst fellow co-founder Meg Whitman added: “We tried a lot of different things over the summer, whether it was payment-less free trial, 90-day free trial, 14-day free trial. We changed marketing around entirely to be more title marketing than platform marketing, which we made a lot of changes and we also you know, tried a completely different business model in Australia. And ultimately none of it really changed the fundamental answer, that we needed more capital and we needed more capital relatively soon.

    “Ultimately probably a couple weeks ago we said, you know, the right thing to do, the hard right but the right thing to do is to return cash to shareholders.”

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     21 Feb: Hart to Hart stars Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers recently reunited for the former's 96th birthday
     21 Feb: Prince William has opened up about the personal work he does to understand his own emotions, saying he often needs time to process how he feels
     21 Feb: Emma Heming Willis says caring for her husband Bruce Willis has made her realise how "vital" it is to concentrate on her own health
     21 Feb: Daniel Radcliffe expects Harry Potter TV series star Dominic McLaughlin to upstage him in the role
     21 Feb: Brianna "Chickenfry" Lapaglia believes Zach Bryan's new bride is a "dig" at her
     21 Feb: Robert Pattinson's therapist asked him if he was on drugs because they "couldn't understand" him
     21 Feb: Megan Thee Stallion's basketball player partner splashed out on a Bentley for her 31st birthday (15.02.26)
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Tiaan Whelpton's made a resounding statement at the International Track Meet in Christchurch More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A economist says New Zealanders appear to have gotten a spending hangover More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Hart to Hart stars Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers recently reunited for the former's 96th birthday 16:17

    Motoring:
    A crash has blocked the Glenorchy-Queenstown Road at Mount Creighton 16:17

    International:
    The shamans and designer handbags before Yoon Suk Yeol's insurrection conviction 16:07

    Entertainment:
    Prince William has opened up about the personal work he does to understand his own emotions, saying he often needs time to process how he feels 15:47

    Rugby:
    Tiaan Whelpton's made a resounding statement at the International Track Meet in Christchurch 15:37

    Entertainment:
    Emma Heming Willis says caring for her husband Bruce Willis has made her realise how "vital" it is to concentrate on her own health 15:17

    Politics:
    The country's first research-informed cyberbullying programme is now available 14:57

    Entertainment:
    Daniel Radcliffe expects Harry Potter TV series star Dominic McLaughlin to upstage him in the role 14:47

    Golf:
    Lydia Ko's preparing to go low ahead of the third round of the latest LPGA Tour event in Thailand 14:27

    Entertainment:
    Brianna "Chickenfry" Lapaglia believes Zach Bryan's new bride is a "dig" at her 14:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd