News | Entertainment
31 Aug 2025 22:28
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Benedict Cumberbatch refuses to be away from his family for more than two weeks at a time

    The 49-year-old actor has revealed that he has a "two-week rule" with his family, because he wants to retain a close bond with his loved ones


    Asked what irritates his family, Benedict said on the Happy Sad Confused podcast: "Being away from home p***** them off."

    Benedict - who has Christopher, ten, Hal, eight, and Finn, six, with his wife Sophie Hunter - also hates being away from his family for long periods of time.

    The actor explained that he tries to prioritise his family life by implementing the "two-week rule".

    He said: "It p***** me off too, so we try and do as much to make that not the case - the two-week rule, and try to work as hard as possible on making work happen here nearer home so I can get home, or take them with me."

    Benedict previously admitted that he's thought more about "mortality" since becoming a dad.

    The film star revealed that fatherhood has changed his entire outlook on life.

    Speaking to Variety, Benedict explained: "The minute you have kids this sense of time sinks in far more profoundly.

    "My youngest is turning six, and I'm like, 'I will be in my 60s when he's 21,' you know? It's crazy. It's gone so fast. So there's a huge shift in priorities, and it makes you value what you do with your life in a very different way.

    "It does weigh on me. When you become a parent, your thoughts turn more towards mortality."

    In 2004, Benedict and some friends were robbed and abducted by six men while they were in South Africa.

    The actor confessed that the terrifying incident has left an indelible mark on his own personality.

    He reflected: "It gave me a sense of time, but not necessarily a good one. It made me impatient to live a life less ordinary, and I'm still dealing with that impatience."

    The near-death experience also turned Benedict into a so-called adrenaline junkie.

    The movie star shared: "The near-death stuff turbo-fuelled all that. It made me go, 'Oh, right, yeah, I could die at any moment.'

    "I was throwing myself out of planes, taking all sorts of risks. But apart from my parents, I didn't have any real dependents at that point.

    "Now that's changed, and that sobers you."

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     30 Aug: Nick and Vanessa Lachey always try to present a "united" front to their children
     30 Aug: Riz Ahmed was hospitalised for "something silent and intense" while filming Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
     30 Aug: George Clooney thinks he's been the "recipient of a lot of luck" in his life
     30 Aug: Maren Morris has witnessed fans "healing from [her] healing" following her divorce
     30 Aug: Austin Butler plans to "disappear" after the Caught Stealing press tour
     30 Aug: Sabrina Carpenter's new album is "not for any pearl clutchers"
     30 Aug: Rachel Zegler feels "indebted" to Steven Spielberg
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Halfback Faf de Klerk will join the Springboks in Auckland ahead of Saturday's Rugby Championship contest against the All Blacks at Eden Park More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions More...



     Today's News

    Motoring:
    State Highway 1 The Desert Road from across the central plateau is closed Rangipo to Waiouru 21:57

    Living & Travel:
    The wild weather's causing major disruptions to ground operations at Auckland Airport 21:17

    Accident and Emergency:
    A person's died at the scene of a single-vehicle crash in Hawkes Bay this afternoon 18:57

    International:
    No Spend September is kicking off on social media to help people save 18:37

    Rugby:
    Halfback Faf de Klerk will join the Springboks in Auckland ahead of Saturday's Rugby Championship contest against the All Blacks at Eden Park 18:37

    Auckland:
    There are reported injuries after a two car crash in Auckland's Stanmore Bay 18:07

    Motoring:
    NASCAR driver Shane van Gisbergen is relishing the bumper-to-bumper schedule of his new discipline 17:37

    Basketball:
    The Breakers battle the Cairns Taipans tonight in their second NBL Blitz preseason basketball match in Canberra 17:27

    Law and Order:
    A former Welsh rugby international is scoffing at the smart mouth guards used to detect a knock to the head 16:57

    Law and Order:
    The wife of a gunman who allegedly killed two police officers in rural Victoria last week, has urged her husband to surrender 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd