Warning over electrical safety following house fire increases
A lack of awareness is believed to be the reason for an increase in the number of house fires caused by electronic fault.
2 May 2018
© 2022 Newstalk ZB, NZCity
Fire and Emergency is calling on people to ensure devices aren't covered when charging, correct chargers are being used, and power sockets aren't overloaded.
More than four hundred house fires were caused by the way people use their devices, or electrical fault last year.
Fire risk management national advisor Peter Gallagher says people need to be aware how easy fire can spark when power outlets are abused.
He says the worst case he's seen is a power outlet running with 26 adapters all on top of each other.