News | Entertainment
26 Sep 2021 10:44
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Quibi will officially shut down on December 1

    The streaming service only began operating six months ago in April this year, but announced this week it will be shutting down for good after failing to take off


    And now, a new statement from the company has confirmed the service will “end streaming on or about December 1, 2020”.

    The statement read: “Quibi has made the difficult decision to wind down. We anticipate that the service will end streaming on or about December 1, 2020. We appreciate the support we have received from our customers and want to thank you for giving us an opportunity to entertain you.

    “At this time we do not know if the Quibi content will be available anywhere after our last day of service. We recommend following #Quibi on Twitter for any news regarding content.”

    Quibi launched earlier this year will the premise of delivering original short-form programming via smartphones.

    The service had been successful in attracting celebrities to create shows for the platform - including Anna Kendrick’s ‘Dummy’, Chrissy Teigen’s ‘Chrissy’s Court’, and ‘Survive’, which starred Sophie Turner - but failed to get the viewer base needed to keep the service running.

    Speaking about the decision to shut down Quibi, co-founder Jeffrey Katzenberg said this week: “There was no question that keeping us going was not going to have a different outcome, it was just going to spend a whole lot more money without any value to show for it. So, out of respect for these people that put up this extraordinary amount of capital to do it, that’s irresponsible and we both felt we shouldn’t do it.”

    Whilst fellow co-founder Meg Whitman added: “We tried a lot of different things over the summer, whether it was payment-less free trial, 90-day free trial, 14-day free trial. We changed marketing around entirely to be more title marketing than platform marketing, which we made a lot of changes and we also you know, tried a completely different business model in Australia. And ultimately none of it really changed the fundamental answer, that we needed more capital and we needed more capital relatively soon.

    “Ultimately probably a couple weeks ago we said, you know, the right thing to do, the hard right but the right thing to do is to return cash to shareholders.”

    © 2021 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     26 Sep: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex visited One World Trade Center on Thursday (23.09.21)
     26 Sep: Paris Hilton is finding wedding planning "stressful"
     26 Sep: Kellan Lutz has quit 'FBI: Most Wanted' to spend more time with his family
     26 Sep: George Lazenby thinks James Bond could be female - eventually
     26 Sep: Hilarie Burton has promised to make Willie Garson's final dream a reality
     26 Sep: Sir Ringo Starr has criticised world leaders for not doing enough on environmental issues
     26 Sep: Lady Louise Windsor found it "slightly scary" having her late grandfather, Prince Philip, "so involved" in her passion for carriage driving
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    All Blacks coach Ian Foster believes his side will learn from how they were put under the pump in the 19-17 win over the Springboks in Townsville More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Four tickets share Lotto Division One's million dollar prize as a result of tonight's draw More...



     Today's News

    Motorsports:
    Scott Dixon will be on the front row of the grid for tomorrow's Indycar season finale in Long Beach California 10:34

    Health & Safety:
    Unichem Otara Pharmacy is now the latest location of interest to be added by the Health Ministry 10:34

    Golf:
    It's tight in the afternoon fourball session on day two of golf's Ryder Cup but the United States has a near insurmountable lead overall 10:34

    Entertainment:
    The Duke and Duchess of Sussex visited One World Trade Center on Thursday (23.09.21) 10:30

    Motoring:
    Spanish 15-year-old Dean Berta Vinales has died following a multi-rider crash in the Supersport 300 race at Jerez 10:14

    Entertainment:
    Paris Hilton is finding wedding planning "stressful" 10:00

    Politics:
    Sir John Key is accusing the Government of ruling by fear 9:34

    Entertainment:
    Kellan Lutz has quit 'FBI: Most Wanted' to spend more time with his family 9:30

    Living & Travel:
    Living, partying and travelling with COVID. Aussie expats shed light on their summer of freedom 9:14

    International:
    In two decades since releasing Torn, Natalie Imbruglia had to quit music to find her voice with new album, Firebird 9:14


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2021 New Zealand City Ltd