News | International
31 Jul 2021 21:31
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony director Kentaro Kobayashi fired for past comments on the Holocaust

    The man in charge of the Olympic opening ceremony is fired a little over 24 hours before the event following news reports about his past comments on the Holocaust.


    The director of the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics has been dismissed following news reports about his past comments on the Holocaust.

    Kentaro Kobayashi was sacked because of comments that made fun of a tragedy, Tokyo 2020 president Seiko Hashimoto said.

    Mr Kobayashi — a comedian, actor, director, and manga artist — was accused of using a joke about the Holocaust in a comedy act as part of TV comedy duo Rahmens back in 1998, including the phrase: "Let's play Holocaust."

    His dismissal comes just a day before the opening ceremony of the pandemic-delayed Games.

    Global human rights organisation the Simon Wiesenthal Center condemned the comments.

    “Any person, no matter how creative, does not have the right to mock the victims of the Nazi genocide," Rabbi Abraham Cooper, the Center's associate dean, said.

    "The Nazi regime also gassed Germans with disabilities. Any association of this person to the Tokyo Olympics would insult the memory of 6 million Jews and make a cruel mockery of the Paralympics."

    Seiko Hashimoto, Tokyo 2020 president, said she apologised for the incident where the Games hired someone who had "said lines that mocked a painful historic fact".

    "The Opening Ceremony is just around the corner, I apologise deeply to the many relevant people, the people of Tokyo, and the people of the nation for causing inconvenience," she said.

    Earlier this week, a composer whose music is expected to be used at the opening ceremony was forced to resign after boasting about being a classroom bully in magazine interviews.

    Mr Kobayashi had been appointed as director for the opening and closing ceremonies after his predecessor, Hiroshi Sasaki, resigned over a controversy about inappropriate comments saying popular Japanese female entertainer Naomi Watanabe could play a role as an "Olympig"

    Ms Hashimoto said she was aware that there were many people who did not want to see the opening ceremony after a series of scandals.

    But she insisted she had no intention of stepping down as head of the Tokyo organising committee.

    Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said on Thursday that he was "taking very seriously" the recent scandals involving the Olympic organising committee, adding that the opening ceremony should be held as planned on Friday.

    The ceremony will be held in an empty stadium because of COVID concerns. 

    Wires/ABC

    © 2021 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     31 Jul: Olympics highlights: The biggest moments from Saturday as the Tokyo competition hits the halfway mark
     31 Jul: Tokyo Olympics a reminder of women's incredible achievements
     31 Jul: Bob Odenkirk says he is 'going to be OK' after 'small heart attack' on set of Better Call Saul
     31 Jul: Laurel Hubbard will make Olympic history on Monday before winning a medal despite the naysayers
     31 Jul: It's been 25 years since the Spice Girls released Wannabe. Their influence on pop culture is almost as gigantic as their shoes
     31 Jul: New Zealand to make dawn raids apology, but the Polynesian Panthers want more than words
     31 Jul: Russia says software glitch and 'human factor' threw International Space Station out of control
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The New Zealand women's sevens have survived a spirited Fijian outfit to make the gold medal match tonight at the Tokyo Olympics More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A health professional put into quarantine after a PPE protocol incident while managing the Covid-infected patient from Fiji is reported to be doing well More...



     Today's News

    Living & Travel:
    A single ticket is now worth $5,333,333 after this evening's Lotto draw 21:16

    Swimming:
    Olympics highlights: The biggest moments from Saturday as the Tokyo competition hits the halfway mark 21:06

    Motoring:
    Tokyo Olympics a reminder of women's incredible achievements 19:16

    Accident and Emergency:
    A man has died at Castlepoint on the Wairarapa coast 18:56

    Environment:
    At least 40 people have been injured when a powerful earthquake rattled northern Peru 18:36

    Entertainment:
    Bob Odenkirk says he is 'going to be OK' after 'small heart attack' on set of Better Call Saul 18:16

    Soccer:
    History made, now it's time to convert on the football pitch 18:06

    Rugby:
    The New Zealand women's sevens have survived a spirited Fijian outfit to make the gold medal match tonight at the Tokyo Olympics 17:26

    Law and Order:
    Hawkes Bay police are telling the public to keep an eye on their heavy vehicles after a rise in expensive battery thefts 17:26

    Business:
    A health professional put into quarantine after a PPE protocol incident while managing the Covid-infected patient from Fiji is reported to be doing well 17:26


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2021 New Zealand City Ltd